Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Day Six ~ I made a goal and I met it!

I'm breaking it down to the basics. Drink my water.

My goal for today ... just four glasses. Not the entire amount I'm supposed to get, but hey, it's a start. And remember, on the past days I've jounralled here, I've barely drunk one, let alone four. So for one week, I am challenging myself to drink four glasses of water a day. And guess what? I made my goal! Hurray!
As for eating, I've been a bit of a garbage can today. Cleaning up the kitchen, I find a chocolate here, a cookie there, and instead of putting them away, I eat them. 

I remember back when I was first married and struggling with a little post-wedding-day weight gain. My Aunt Jean, an incredible wise woman who counselled men and women with eating disorders, what I could do. She suggested gauging my hunger on a scale of 1-10. One was starving, while ten was so full you would burst. I don't remember the details right now. 

What I do remember is how she said that anything else we eat, past that happy, satisfied feeling (around a 7 on her scale) was just garbage. And she looked at me and said "Do you want it to be garbage in the can, or garbage in your body? Are YOU a garbage can?" I was shocked, and of course I said "No way!"

I'm sad to say that today, I am a garbage can. My feeling as I'm hoovering up the kitchen and throwing stuff away into my stomach? DISGUST and WORTHLESSNESS.

But I did drink my four glasses of water, darn it!