Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Day Five and Can God Help Me?

You might be thinking my only intent is to write about my eating habits, but not to make any changes or to try to fix my problem. That's not it at all. I'm just here because I needed to take stock of where I was, why I continued to gain weight instead of losing, and why each diet or weight-loss effort I made set me back further in my efforts.

I've tried Weight Watchers in person (you know, where you go to the weekly meetings and keep a little notebook). I followed the rules and stayed within my points carefully for about seven weeks but didn't lose a single pound. My ounces fluctuated, but I didn't actually lose any pounds. 

At that time I went to see a doctor to find out why I couldn't lose weight. Turned out they said I was pre-diabetic and because my body wasn't using insulin properly, my body was retaining fat. They put me on the South Beach diet.

I followed that religiously for four months. I lost five pounds. I liked how I felt, but the diet was hard and the holidays came. I became frustrated trying to follow the diet during that time and became resentful of the meager weight loss. I gave in and binged like a maniac. And that's pretty much where I stayed for another eight months ... no diet, no real care taken for my health.

Then I had my check up with my Gyn. I had a total hysterectomy of June of 2007. Yes, it's been since then since I've really not been able to control my weight. But I'm not sure if it's had anything to do with my huge weight gain or state of mind or what. Anyway, my Gyn. said I really ought to go back on Weight Watchers because it has the best long-term success rate. 

I immediately enrolled again, though this time I went online, and have been keeping track of my points and 'trying' again. Except each week since I started (four months or so now) I would do great for about four days or so, then I would go over my points, or nearly, and then I would feel like I just couldn't stay within my points, so I would throw in the towel. I became resentful and would binge every weekend. And that's been my nasty cycle pretty much every week.

So that brought me to where I am now. I was trying to get my water in, my veggies, my dairy, and stay within my points, AND exercise. That's a lot to ask of a girl who wasn't doing anything right before. 

And that's when I prayed for help. I am a very religious person and love Heavenly Father, but for some reason I hadn't turned to Him for help. But I have a friend who had struggled for weight for a long time who finally lost his weight when he asked Heavenly Father for help. 

I felt that i needed to break my weight loss efforts down. First, buy a fun small plate to help me reduce my portion sizes. I've been doing that, but I'm not sure how much it's helping me. Then, concentrate in drinking enough water. I've been totally stinking at the water thing.  Move a little more. Ahh, nope.

Will He help me if I don't help myself? I don't think so. I don't think He can. Or should, really. These are the things I felt prompted to do, and I haven't done a good job at them. It's been two months or so since I felt I should do these things. 

I think I've been crying in my soup for the past week and unfortunately, you've been my victims. But I really ought to try harder. Just ... TRY.

So for today? I did well for most of it, until two things happened: 1) I found myself alone (everyone was out) and 2) I got some very disturbing and stressful news. 

My cravings for sweets skyrocketed from there and I ate about five cookies. Just pacing the floor, stressing out, stuffing cookies in my face. Argh.

And again, maybe not even a glass of water today. It's not like I'm downing tons of pop, either. I usually have one caffeine-free diet Coke at the end of each day, but otherwise I don't drink pop (unless we go out to eat which we don't do every day.) With other meals I have water or sometimes milk. I don't drink anything in between unless it's water. Guess I just haven't been drinking anything really at all. No wonder I've been having a lot of headaches lately.

So, I'm really going to TRY. Just drink my darn water tomorrow. Come on, it can't be that hard, can it? Really?