Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year. A New Me?

Is it possible? Could it be? 

I'm always full of hope at the start of a new year. I feel strong, and hopeful, and courageous. I can do it (anything!)!! 

I haven't been posting for the past two weeks because I've been surrounded by family, enjoying the holidays. But I've never once stopped thinking about food or about how I look/feel. 

I'm back now, armed with a few new ideas.

During the holidays I practiced standing up straight. Pulling my shoulderblades back and lifting my chest. It's a little hard on the back at first, because that lower back isn't used to supporting my weight, only my poor over-worked shoulders and chest muscles. But I look better when I'm standing up straight and a strange thing happens ... I feel more confident.

I'm a fan of Flylady and get her emails daily. Today I got an email from Leslie, a.k.a. Mrs. Smarty Pants, that confirmed my recent train of thoughts:

Dear Friends,

With the start of 2009 we are full of hope and promise for the New
Year. Whether we set a
New Year's resolution or not, we all secretly
wish to do better than in we did in the previous year.

If you want to improve your health, lose weight, manage your life or
finances better than last year, I believe you need to feel better
about yourself FIRST.

To make our goals (or resolutions) attainable, we should feel
confident about ourselves and only set goals that are truly realistic.
This means taking baby steps to improve yourself instead of attempting
gigantic leaps.

I see way too many women vow to lose (a set number of pounds they
think they need to lose) at the start of the New Year. They may or may
not attain this number goal, but usually gain it back again. Don't do
this!

Start feeling better about yourself today! When you dress for your
body type and take care of yourself, your confidence will soar! Just
think of what you can attain when you are more self-assured and
positive? You can improve yourself when your attitude is more optimistic.

Begin by updating your style. Wear styles that are best for your shape
(you'll look slimmer) and follow my 2009 Style Do's and Don'ts.

MissusSmartyPants Top 11 Style Do's for 2009

A Styled hairstyle…you' ll look years younger.
A lighter lip color…it gives you a youthful pout.
A straight-leg pant…so kind to your curves.
A semi-fitted jacket…adds friendly feminine curves.
A good fitting bra…puts the "girls" up where they belong.
Find your most flattering color & wear it…look prettier.
An A-line skirt…works that hourglass shape, ladies!
Pants long enough they touch your shoes…longer is leaner.
Body skimming top…makes the most of your shape.
Dark dressy jeans…sassy and stylin'
Classic good fitting clothes & the right attitude to wear
them…confidence +


MissusSmartyPants Top 11 Style Don'ts for 2009

Don't wear:

Baggy sweats…at home comfy-wear.
A worn-out purse held together by safety pin…c'mon you need a new one!
A 3 piece suit all worn together…so "old lady" and matchy.
Cargo pants…unless job related, a big fashion NO.
Ripped acid-washed Jeans…leave these to lead singers in rock bands.
Promo "give away" crew-neck shirts…there is a reason they are FREE.
Big boxy jackets…you will look hmm…BOXY!
Ankle length dresses, skirts or pants…don't do this to yourself, please.
Overalls…for farmers ONLY!
Rainbow socks…why?
Dark lipstick…dreary, old and UGLY.


All my blessings for a fabulous 2009!

Love,

Leslie aka MSP

I also have some thoughts for the New Year that I hope will help me work through my food issues. Stay tuned though ... I don't want to blow all my good ideas in one day, lol!

By the way, I hardly drank any water at all over the holidays, but I didn't overly pig out, either. At least, no real binges, so that's cool.