Monday, February 8, 2010

You Are What You Wear


Yesterday, while I was sitting in church, I watched people as they came into the chapel and took their seats. I took note of what they were wearing, how the women had their hair done and how some had taken extra time to do their little girls hair up just right. Some were dressed in plain, but nice dresses, some were in fancier garb and a few were even in professional skirt and blazer type attire. I thought about my frumpy dress and how I wished I had a new one. I only have 3-4 dresses that still fit me and even they have seen better days. It was then that I realized I haven't bought new clothes for ages. My pants are getting so thin you can practically see through them and my shirts have been washed so many times, they are at least 5 shades lighter than their original vibrant colors.

So why don't I buy clothes? Easy, I keep thinking I'll lose weight and get into a smaller size. Every time I think about spending money on a new pair of jeans I tell myself it would be a waste of money because they'll be too big for me when I lose all the weight I'm planning to lose. But then I don't and I end up wearing the same old things over and over until they are rags.

Unfortunately, this does two things. One, it depresses me because I never have new and wonderful clothes. And two, I look like crap--which depresses me even more. I truly believe that our attitude and self esteem would sky rocket if we just took the time to do the little things each morning. Never go without doing your hair up and putting on makeup. Don't just wear jewelry when you go out, accessorize for yourself. And go get a few new items to wear, regardless if you're planning on losing or not. At least have one nice outfit that you can feel good in. The change in your self image could give you the boost you need to actually stick to that diet and make better eating and exercise choices.