Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy New Year!

Walking through my house the other day, I had an aha! moment.

I was thinking to myself how I hadn't been very successful with my New Year's resolutions "this year." The inner dialogue going on in my head was pretty recriminating and I wasn't cutting myself any slack.

And then, this little voice that's normally timid and shy perked up and said, "Hey! Cut it out!"

Turns out that little chicken-self had something to say in my defense. We're only one month into the New Year. I haven't failed YET.

Elbert Hubbard said, "There is no failure except in no longer trying." I believe this to be true in my writing, so why can't it be true in other aspects of my life?

The answer? It can.

So if I haven't failed yet, then today is as good a day as any, to try, try again.

Therefore, Happy New Year!

If your resolutions have already been flushed down the toilet, then join me in facing this new year together. February first is the new January first, haven't you heard?

I have not failed, because I am not giving up.
So there.