Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sedentary

sed·en·tary \ˈse-dən-ˌter-ē\
a : doing or requiring much sitting
b : not physically active

Yes, I'm still obsessing about this. Because 5, 500 steps a day is really, really hard. Especially when my pedometer keeps getting reset whenever I lean against a counter. Considering it's so hard for me to *just get the "sedentary-level" steps in each day* it's a complete downer when the pedometer resets. I either have to start all over again or give up. Usually, I give up.

But I don't want to be lazy.

la·zy
\ˈlā-zē\
1 : disinclined to activity or exertion : not energetic or vigorous
2
: moving slowly

I've been watching the athletes compete in the Olympics (we've been obsessively watching this year, don't know why. I don't think we've missed a single "episode" of coverage yet. Crazy.) And I admire them. I admire everything about them. Everything about what it takes to move your body like they do. The hard work they have invested in their sport. The excellence they have striven for, and, achieved. They are stunning. They are amazing. They are inspiring.

They are so not me.

When I watch the athletes do their thing, when I hear them talk about their work ethic, I think I could maybe do that--I want to do that, I want to work that hard and feel that great about myself and my abilities.

And so I realized something.

I am lazy.

If there's a shorter way around, someone else to fetch me something, or if I can consolidate efforts to avoid having to walk to the kitchen/laundry room/etc. more than once, I'll do it. I'm a cheater. And I am lazy.
So, I'm back to using my little pedometer (I'll just avoid leaning against things.) I will get 5, 500 steps each day. And I will eat less. I will because I am sick of being fat. And I don't have to just let it live with me. It's time to evict that fat.

I will not be sedentary. I'll find reasons to get up and move around--take those extra trips upstairs, or wherever. And I'm banishing laziness to another realm.

Today? 7, 408 steps. Yay for me!