Monday, February 2, 2009

The "E" Word

Ok, I'm going to say it. I'll just whisper it though. Maybe it won't be quit so hard to hear if I whisper it.

exercise

It's not that I hate exercise. I like it fine, well sort of, when I'm doing it. It's the going to it, getting ready for it and anticipating it that I hate. Mainly, I hate feeling like I have to do it.

Have you figured out that I generally have a problem with anything that I feel obligated to do? Yep, I'm a rebel.

But here's the irony with exercise: You hate to go, but after you do it you always feel better.

AND, when you're exercising regularly you (and by you, I mean me) tend to eat better.

I know. Weird, right?

Except I did eat a bunch of pretzels tonight, but mainly . . . much better.

I've been doing karate regularly since the start of the year. I've been signed up for karate for, like, two years, but have skipped a TON. But I've been amazingly faithful in 2009. I'm rather pleased with myself.

Two to three times a week I'm going to kicking and shouting and punching and crunching and jumping and pushing. It is hard, hard work. And I am super fat and old. 

But dang it, I feel great for doing it.

So, I'm just putting that out there. I know, you don't want anyone to tell you what to do, so I certainly won't. I'm just pointing out an interesting little relationship that I've noticed.

Doing that thing helps me not eat so much. I'm just sayin'.