Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Celebrate Your Body

This post goes along the same lines as Ali's, in that we are beautiful and need to learn to love ourselves just as we are. How much healthier it would be to our minds if we simply celebrated our bodies--every ounce of us.

The story Ali used about the woman that spread lotion all over her body really struck me. At first I thought . . . NO WAY! How disgusting. There is no way I could do that, but then something happened this weekend that made me rethink it.

A friend of mine said something to me that made me remember how I've always molded my life around what other people thought I should be like, who they thought I should be and lived how they thought I should live. My Father told me almost every day that no man could ever love a woman that was fat, like me. I've let those wounds fester and destroy certain parts of my life, especially my self esteem and I am so tired of it. I'm sick of hearing his voice echo in my head.

As I was sitting in church on Sunday, giving this a little more thought and wondering how I was going to be able to put myself in the public eye in order to promote my book, I realized something. I don't care anymore. If I'm not liked just as I am, too bad. Yes, I'd love to be healthier and I certainly need to build up my stamina and there is no doubt I'd like to fit into some great clothes, but not for anyone but ME.

So, today I celebrate my body . . . just as it is . . . every single ounce of it.