Friday, March 20, 2009

Choose

For Honesty, the Church's Twelve-Step program recommends reading "Addiction or Freedom" by Elder Russell M. Nelson. 

Most of the article isn't relevant for me since it's specific for drug addictions, but I was able to read it with an open mind and glean some wonderful things from it.

Elder Nelson says: 

"This challenge uniquely involves the will, and the will can prevail." 

It's sometimes hard for me to believe that my will can prevail. He goes on to say,

"Healing doesn't come after the first dose of any medicine. So the prescription must be followed firmly, bearing in mind that it often takes as long to recover as it did to become ill. But if made consistently and persistently, correct choices can cure."

It's kind of scary to think it could take as long to heal as it took me to become sick. I mean, I think I've been 'sick' like this most of my life. But it does give me hope that even if I can't all of sudden become a good eater, a good steward of my body, that if I keep trying, keep walking in the right direction, then one day, I will be well again.

Elder Nelson offers a 'spiritual prescription' to help us regain our health and wellness again:

1. Choose to Be Alive. Surround yourself with people you love and who love you in return. Cheer up your hearts.

"The choice for life brings an outlook of optimism. It breathes hope. It rekindles self-esteem--regarding one's body as a timeless trust. And it awakens a personal commitment to "see that ye take care of these scared things, . . . that ye look to God and live." 

2. Choose to Believe. This is sometimes the hardest one for me. I believe in God and I know that He loves me, but I often fall short of believing that He will help me. But if I really think about it, about how He truly is my Father and that He is a loving parent, I realize that He would never let me down if I asked sincerely for His help. What parent would?

3. Choose to Change. "How long will ye suffer [yourself] to be led by foolish and blind guides? Yea, how long will ye choose darkness rather than light?" (Hel. 13:29.) I choose to change.

4. Choose to Be Different

"Thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation." (D&C 89:4.)

"The Word of Wisdom is a spiritual law. To be obedient He proclaimed: "I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them." (D&C 89:21.)

The thing about the Word of Wisdom is, that it says "to be used with prudence." I want to be more obedient to this law. I am not putting anything into my body that contradicts it's dictates, but I am not careful to partake in moderation. This is where I need to improve.

5. Choose to Exercise. Exercising the body and spirit is freeing. It cheers us and gives us hope.

6. Choose to Be Free. "Leave behind "an iron yoke, . . . handcuffs, and chains, and shackles, and fetters of hell." (D&C 123:8.)" Oh, how I want to do this! I truly feel trapped by my food addictions. I want to be free!