Sunday, April 26, 2009

Breaking My Own Rules

I hate diets. In fact, I despise them.

Why? Because I suck at them. And I'm nothing if not one who needs reciprocated love.

I loved Weight Watchers until I didn't lose anything more than a quarter pound that kept leaving and returning, but never staying gone for long. I believe they call that fluctuation.

I loved South Beach and stayed on it for nearly two months before giving up. I lost a whopping two or three pounds on South Beach, even after denying myself all my sweet treats and happy-making-meals for what felt like eons.

But today, I started a new diet. 

I know, slap me. But I really do have hopes for this one. Why do I think it might work? Because I'm doing it with a handful of friends and we're going to meet once a week to check in, help each other, offer tips and support. Also, it's a very strict diet but it only lasts for three weeks AND you lose a lot of weight during that time. So I'm thinking that especially if I'm seeing results, I can do anything for three weeks.

What is this remarkable diet? Well, it's the hCG diet. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I'm doing it, because I'm not normally one to fall in with fads. However, a couple of my friends have done it (two of them are doing it again with me this time) and they have both had success in losing weight and in keeping it off for over a year. And ... I really need something to give me a boost. 

So, today I started the diet. What it entails is a daily shot of hCG--the hormone women produce when they are pregnant. The drug tricks the body into thinking that it is pregnant and starts burning a ton of calories--something like 2500 a day. 

For the first two days, you eat like a maniac. Anything and everything you can possibly consume. The more, the better. I'm not one hundred percent clear on why you do that, but I think it has something to do with tricking your body again. Your body is not only pregnant, but is also getting so many calories, it starts to burn them in earnest. Except on the third day, and for the next three weeks, you consume so little that your body's ramped up calorie-burning needs turn to your fat stores instead.

Anyway, so far so good, right? I mean, I love the gorging part. We'll see how the actual super-low calorie diet part goes--that starts on Tuesday. Don't judge me--please. Just, wish me luck, okay?